Thursday 23 October 2008

Strange Places To Live - Part Three - Australia


I’m on a roll now. Not content with laughing at mad place names in Britain and America, I can now reveal to you that those lovely Pommie-bashing Aussies from down under (who are insanely jealous about how much better at sport we are than them) have an equally fantastic sense of humour and, judging by the list of place names below, are very happy to laugh at themselves. After all, if you can’t laugh at how poorly our Antipodean friends did in the recent Beijing Olympics what can you laugh at? I’m only kidding, guys – I love Australia!

Anyway, back to the point of the post. Here are some fantastic place names in Australia. Again these place names are genuine – please feel free to shove the name in Google Map to confirm:

Amphitheatre
Blackbutt
Boggabilla
Bong Bong
Broken Head
Chinaman’s Knob
Come By Chance
Foul Bay
Gobbagomblin
Grong Grong
Howlong
Humpybong
Humpty Doo
Innaloo
Kurri Kurri
Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya Hill
Manly
Middle Intercourse Island
Monkey Jacket Creek
Mooball
Mount Buggery
Mount Speculation
Nevertire
Nobby Beach
Nowhere Else
Poowong
Punchbowl
Rooty Hill
Scone
The Entrance
Tittybong
Wagga Wagga
Wangi Wangi
Wee Waa
Wet Beaver Creek
Woolloomooloo
Wonglepong
Wuk Wuk
Yorkey's Knob
Younghusband

Once more, I hope you agree that these are wonderful names. And of course, as much as I enjoy taking the pee out of Australians, I think that they are wonderful people. I loved every minute of my three week visit to Australia in 2005.

I can’t wait to visit again. I think Manly is the place where I was born to be – Nowhere Else will do. Maybe Punchbowl will also be worth a visit as well. Kurri Kurri appeals too, and obviously if I have too much of that, Innaloo may provide some relief. There are certain places I may avoid though – Foul Bay and Chinaman’s Knob leap to mind. I can seek solace in Tittybong though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's possible to reach the top of Mamungkukum... Hill before finishing saying Mamungkukum... Hill? And I wonder if Humpty Doo has anything to do with Humpty Dumpty? I hope not!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Reach the top of it? I can't even say it.

:-)

Cheers

PM