Saturday 11 October 2008

Sarah Palin - Go Home


I don’t really like to talk about politics but for once I am going to make an exception.

Politicians wind me up. They always have done and they always will do. I cringe whenever I watch them on TV.

The politician irritating me most at the present time is Sarah Palin, closely followed by her grandfather, John McCain.

When she first appeared on the scene, like a flash from a genie’s lamp, I thought “mmm – she’s nice!” I’ll bet John McCain did as well.

Since then, however, she has grinded me down. As she has revealed herself more and more, she has irritated me more and more. She is becoming like an anagram of her name – “A Plain Rash”.

I don’t follow American politics as a rule and I don’t profess to understand what the hell is going on, but as the verbal sparring finds its way onto our TV screens in the UK it is difficult to ignore it.

Here are some of the things that annoy me about her.

(1) John McCain selected this woman as a running mate having only met her once. Why? Is it because she is a woman? Was the decision taken out of his hands? I have no objection to a woman as a politician but there is something so fishy about the whole thing that American cats must be bewildered.

(2) She is a hunter – or so she says. I loathe hunting.

(3) She has the most irritating voice in American politics. Dogs run around like demented sheep when she’s on the TV.

(4) If John McCain is elected president then this woman will be next in line if anything happens to him.

(5) She thinks that she is a typical American “Mom” but she is not like any American mothers I have met.

(6) She says “nucular” instead of “nuclear”.

(7) John McCain recently criticized Barack Obama for lacking experience. And he thinks that Sarah Palin has more?

(8) Genealogists have recently unearthed evidence to suggest that Sarah Palin is a very distant cousin of our very own Princess Diana. Is this a publicity stunt or what?

(9) Sarah Palin has very little experience of foreign affairs, which is where we would come in if fate conspired to make her President. She apparently only received her first passport in 2006. Being close to Russia does not make her an expert in foreign affairs.

(10) She claimed that Barack Obama fraternizes with a known terrorist. From what I understand, this link is very tenuous, mainly because Obama was a child when the terrorist attacks occurred and that Obama lived in the same neighbourhood as the man. Sounds a bit desperate to me.

I will be glad when all this is over and hopefully Sarah Palin will go back to Alaska and stay off our TV screens here in the UK.

I apologize for this minor diversion. Politicians bring out the worst in me. I’ll have to add to my collection of chill pills in preparation for the UK elections in 2010. Don’t get me started on Gordon Brown and David Cameron.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I never noticed that a Sarah Palin anagram was "a plain rash" until now. Good catch. I'll have to listen for the next time she says "nucular". I guess I've never noticed it since I'm so used to Bush saying it that way.

Plastic Mancunian said...

"A Plain Rash" is one of the safer anagrams, believe me.

Cheers

PM

Pia K said...

Well said/written/thought. I try to stay away from what that woman utters, because from the wee bits I've seen and heard she clearly has very far from all the chickens in the henhouse. When one thinks US politics can't get any worse, there are for odd reasons always room for more...

Btw, many thumbs up for loathing hunting!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Thanks Pia,

I think/hope McCain's choice of running mate will backfire. I wouldn't mind but in most past elections I've seen, the running mate does not make that much of a difference to foreign observers.

I would have just watched and cursed if it hadn't been for the Diana connection. That was the last straw for me. I just had to post when I read that!

Cheers

PM

Anonymous said...

Agree with you on the pistol-packin' Palin and not to speak for others but...I will anyway...I think a LOT of us over here feel the same way. I can't believe that the campaign has let her run with the Obama/terrorist link---hopefully they've crossed the line just enough for a good backfire! (The you-betcha's! are annoying too.)

Plastic Mancunian said...

"Pistol-packin' Palin" - I like it.

Yes, "You betcha" is annoying too.

Cheers

PM

Rebecca said...

Wow. I am so strongly in favor of Palin. She is a woman of great moral character and she is someone who all young woman can look up to. Maybe you're sick of what you see on the media because the media is obviously biased against her and those of us who think like her.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Frigga,

Thanks for the comment. I think the media here in the UK is unbiased about Sarah Palin - they just report what they see. I'm not sure I agree that she has great moral character given that she allegedly got somebody the sack for personal reasons. Abusing power is not moral to me. Also, I don't like underhand tactics - like the Obama terrorist claim.

That said, you are of course entitled to you opinion and I respect that.

Cheers

PM