Wednesday 22 October 2008

A Strange Place To Live - Part Two - America


I have an announcement to make: Americans also have a sense of humour. I didn’t doubt this for an instant because some of my favourite comedy shows come from across the pond. However, I have always thought that Americans take themselves far too seriously and just don’t get our wacky British sense of humour.

But I may be wrong.

For every crazy town in Britain, there is an equally crazy town in the United States. Listed below are some of my favourites. The names may not be as funny as our British triumphs but they are amusing nonetheless. I would also like to add that these place names are genuine – if you don’t believe me then try popping them into Google Map:

Bald Knob, Arkansas
Bangs Beach, Maine
Beebeetown, Iowa
Boring, Maryland
Butztown, Pennsylvania
Christmas, Florida
Climax Springs, Missouri
Crapo, Maryland
Dead Horse, Alaska
Dickey, North Dakota
Dwarf, Kentucky
Eagle Butte, South Dakota
Earth, Texas
Elephant Butte, New Mexico
Experiment, Georgia
Fertile, Minnesota
French Lick, Indiana
Frostproof, Florida
Hell, Michigan
Hippo, Kentucky
Hookersville, West Virginia
Hot Coffee, Mississippi
Humptulips, Washington
Looneyville, Texas
Mollies Nipple, Utah
Monkeys Eyebrow, Kentucky
Mudd Butte, South Dakota
Mud Lick, Kentucky
Normal, Illinois
Paradox, New York
Santa Claus, Indiana
Slaughter, Louisiana
Tightsqueeze, Virginia
Tingley, Iowa
Toad Suck, Arkansas
Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico
What Cheer, Iowa
Whiskey Dick Mountain, Wisconsin
Why, Arizona
Whynot, Mississippi
Wide Awake, Colorado

Fantastic names – I’m sure you will agree. Next time I fly across the pond I may attempt to visit some of these special places. I’m particularly intrigued by French Lick, Hookersville and Tightsqueeze. I think I may avoid Toad Suck, Elephant Butte and Boring. And I’m having second thoughts about Why. But then again, Whynot?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arkansas has all kinds of weird town names. Along with Toad Suck and Bald Knob there is Booger Hollow, Old Joe(formerly known as Naked Joe), and a few others I can't remember from my youth. It was one of the few things to talk about in Arkansas.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Booger Hollow? I think I would have added that one.

Excellent!

Cheers

PM

Anonymous said...

How about Intercourse, Pennsylvania...that's a doozie! Just wikied Tightsqueeze ... interesting story of how the town got its name and surprising that the townspeople fought to NOT have it changed. Crazy Americans!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Intercourse - LOL! Missed that one too!!!

I'm beginning to think American names are better than British ones now

LOL

Cheers

PM

Anonymous Thinker said...

As an American, I'll objectively inform you that they do, in fact, take themselves too seriously. Except me. :)

French Lick is well...--oh I shouldn't spoil anything for you...

Anonymous said...

I'm in Cumming, Georgia. Funny?

Plastic Mancunian said...

I'm glad to hear it Dereck. Nobody should take themselves seriously. When I first found out about a place called French Lick, my mind boggled - in fact it is still boggling ...

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Christine,

Damn! Missed that one too.

:-)

Cheers

PM