Sunday 27 October 2019

Free Talk


Today is a good day to talk about Rugby Union and England’s amazing semi-final victory in the World Cup having beaten New Zealand (the current world champions) yesterday and Australia last week.

South Africa stand in our way on Saturday next week.

I will shut up until we win (because I don’t want to boast prematurely). Instead I shall answer a few questions from Sunday Stealing.

1. If you were offered a job in another part of the country, would you take it?

It depends on which part of the country the offer was. If it were Liverpool then the answer would be yes because I love the city, having spent three years of my life at university there, and it is only about 35 miles away from home and is therefore quite easy to get to. Anywhere else would be a struggle.

I would however consider a job abroad. I have worked for several weeks at a time (on business trips)  in various countries including a three month stint in Hong Kong and I loved it all. I could still do that if required.

2. If you were in a bank and someone started to hold it up, what would you do?

I would marvel at the strength of that person. A building is very heavy, after all.

Seriously, though, it depends how they were armed. If they had a gun I would comply with everything they wanted me to do (within reason), But it depends how many people were in the bank and how many were prepared to try to overpower him.

If there were several armed robbers then I would be on the floor until it was all over.

3. If you found a suitcase filled with $1,000,000 what would you do

I would probably take it to the nearest police station. Nobody would carry that much money around legally so my guess is that it would be stolen, therefore there might be a reward associated with it.

4. If you had a 25 hour day what would you do with your extra hour?

I certainly wouldn’t work my day job. I would probably do something enjoyable and constructive, like write something.

5. If you had the opportunity to be different, what would you change?

I would change my life expectancy to add another fifty years of healthy life with a youthful appearance.

6. If you received a lottery ticket as a gift and won a lot of money, would you share with the person who gave you the ticket?

I think I would be insulted if somebody were to give me a lottery ticket as a gift if I am allowed to be brutally honest. If by a miracle I won millions from the ticket, I might give them a small amount as a reward.

However, if that person were Dr Who or some other time traveller who could guarantee that my numbers would come up, I would of course share the prize with them.

7. If you spoke two languages and your spouse spoke only one, would you raise your children as bilingual?

Absolutely. I would love to be bilingual.

8. If you were candy, which candy would you be?

I would be a Smartie because I am quite smart.

9. If you were a toy, which toy would you be?

Probably a Playstation 4 or some other games console. I do dabble with a PS4 occasionally, even at the age of 57.

10. If you were abducted by aliens, would you tell anyone?

Yes – but I would do so in the form of a book. I think people would consider me to be a nutter if I tried to convince them that I had been prodded and probed by aliens. But in a book it would at least be enjoyed by those who love fictional accounts (even though it may be true).

11. If you could go to the moon, would you?

Not a chance. It is cold, dark, dangerous and it has no atmosphere. I love a place with a good atmosphere.

12. If you had a time machine, where would you go and why?

I would go to the future. I would visit the next 500 years a decade at a time to see how technology evolved and how the environment is coping with the human race trying to turn the planet into a toilet.

I might even pop to next Saturday to find out the numbers of next week’s winning lottery ticket. But I wouldn’t give the ticket away; I would keep it for myself.

13. If you saw a robbery, would you report it?

Definitely. We all carry smartphones these days too so I would try to take photographs to make sure the criminals were brought to justice.

14. If you were to speak to a graduating class, what would you say?

I would tell them that it is alright to change your mind about your chosen career path if you wish to. I would also wish them good luck.

15. If given the choice between being given great wisdom or great wealth, which would you choose?

I would choose great wisdom in the art of finances and business so that I would inevitably and eventually acquire great wealth that way. You can have your cake AND eat it, you know.

14 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

Enjoyable answers--especially #15!

CountryDew said...

Working abroad sounds interesting. And I like Smarties, although your packaging is quite different from ours. I even eat them sometimes though I am not supposed to. At my age I'm just supposed to eat broccoli or something.

Elephant's Child said...

Great wisdom here too.
I don't even need or want great wealth - which says clearly that to much of the world I am already wealthy.
And how I would love to be bilingual.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Absolutely! Write that book if you should ever be abducted. What an insightful answer!

Stacy said...

I never even thought of the future when it came to time-traveling. I don't know why, but I don't think I'd want to know what is coming. It might cause me to change the now and miss out on what's right here. Plus, it might be horrifically sad and depressing.

River said...

#6; I've given lottery tickets as gifts, tucked inside birthday or Christmas cards and I don't think the recipients have been insulted. if they ever win any money, good luck to them. If they win millions even better luck. a family member might give me a little back as a thank you, but I wouldn't expect it just because.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Kwizgiver,

I do too. Why NOT have both?

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Country Dew,

An occasional Smartie in your life won't hurt.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

I would want just enough wealth to let me retire right now.

That's all I need.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Zippiknits,

I might just do it anyway. I have a weird imagination.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Stacey,

I think the future will be great - but there is doubt which is why I suggested a decade at a time. Because then you might be able to take steps to change it.

The future is not written.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

I would prefer to buy the lottery ticket for myself and then, when and if it won, give away some of the winnings to the person I might consider giving it to - if that makes sense.

I would be gutted if I gave away a winning lottery ticket.

:o)

Cheers

PM

勝美 said...

As former presenter of television cable access program Chalk Talk Starring 勝美 And Jean And Candy Review during which my friend Spewgie (Jean) and I would diagram that week's crucial gridiron football plays and if we ran out of time we'd discuss candy and sugary carbonated soda waters for which we received higher ratings than the village Common Council meetings broadcast and way more fan mail but so sorry I think a girl should finish junior high school before settling down, I can say with authority USA Smarties and UK Smarties are two completely different candies.

USA Smarties ≅ UK Fizzers ≅ Canada Rockets. Chalky, sweet, sour, tart.

USA m&m's ≅ UK Smarties and Canada Smarties. Candy covered choco.

So. If you were a child dressed in a Halloween costume to Trick Or Treat in America, you'd rather receive m&m's than Smarties.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi 勝美,

Thanks for that info about Smarties. I must admit I have never had them when in the USA. Definitely prefer Candy covered chocolate.

:o)

Cheers

PM