Saturday 14 January 2023

Some More Favourites

Welcome to a changeable South Manchester. I can see blue sky and both white and grey clouds with a threat of rain later. 

Before I go on, I just want to raise my glass (well cup of tea at the moment) to the legendary guitarist Jeff Beck who died this week. Rest in peace:

Shall we move onto some silly questions from Sunday Stealing

1. What is your favourite accent?

My own accent is “neutral” English with a hint of Black Country and a soupçon of Mancunian. It is a lot better than the one I had when I lived in Walsall which was pure Black Country – or “Yam Yam”. It wasn’t pleasant to listen too (so I am told).

Here is a taste of the accent:

I’m not actually sure whether I have a favourite accent. I am not a fan of cockney or Welsh and I struggle to understand the Scottish accent sometimes, particularly that in Glasgow. 

I quite like Southern Irish and the North East accent. I am surrounded by Mancunian accents as you can imagine and that is just like white noise to me. 

I will say Southern Irish – as I recall a young lady once trying to chat me up in a bar in Dublin while Mrs PM was at the bar – also being chatted up by a different bloke. 

2. What is your favourite animal?

I love cats and dogs. I would be quite happy to have both a dog and a cat together but Mrs PM favours our feline friends more. I am happy with that. 

3. What is your favourite band?

My favourite band is no more. It was Canadian progressive rockers Rush and sadly they ceased to be just before the untimely death of their legendary drummer Neil Peart. Their music has been with me at key moments in my life and always will be with me in future. Here they are at their best.

And now it is time to move on and taking up the throne is probably Polish progressive rockers Riverside who have a new album out next week. Here they are:

4. What is your favourite childhood book?

I remember reading War of the Worlds when I was about eleven years old and I loved it ever since. It is one of the few books I have read a couple of times.

5. What is your favourite colour?

I like blue but I think my favourite colour is probably teal – a kind of bluey green.

6. What is your favourite drink?

My favourite non-alcoholic beverage is tea, which I take decaffeinated and with just a splash of milk. 

My favourite soft drink is probably apple juice, though I usually add a little orange juice to give it a little kick.

My favourite alcoholic drink is probably Timmy Taylor’s Landlord, although I will happily drink lager and other ales. I also like red wine – and I can quite happily drink white wine too.

7. What is your favourite flavour of ice cream?

I don’t eat much ice cream to be honest but I do recall that Häagen-Dazs Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is really nice.

8. What is your favourite place on the planet?

There are too many to list. I am quite happy here at home in South Manchester but you can’t beat walking along an unspoiled beach as the sun is going down either in the south of Spain or the South of France. Hong Kong is my favourite city outside the UK.

9. What is your favourite sandwich?

I am a man of simple tastes so I am happy with a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich. I do like smoked salmon and avocado too occasionally.

10. What is your favourite swear word?

A great word to express your distaste is a word that I think is only used in the UK (though it might be used in Australia too). That word is:

Bollocks!

It basically means “rubbish” as in:

“You are talking complete and utter bollocks!”

“What a load of old bollocks!”

11. What is your favourite thing to wear?

I am quite happy wearing jeans and a T-shirt usually. 

12. What is your favourite food to eat on a rainy day?

I guess if it is raining I would go for something more homely like a casserole or a pie.

13. What is your favourite food to eat on a sunny day?

I guess on a sunny day I would eat something lighter like a salad. That said, it is sunny now but it is the middle of winter so I think I would stick with the same as the answer to the previous question. 

14. What is your favourite number?

I don’t have a favourite number. If you force me to pick one I will go for 8 because I was born on the 8th.

15. What is your favourite snack?

I have several favourite snacks; cheese on toast, cheese and biscuits, cheese and onion crisps, flame raisins and almonds, dry roast peanuts, Granny Smith’s apples, nectarines, plums, satsumas, oranges, bananas – the list goes on.


16 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I couldn't understand a word of the You Tube video. Sure that's English? I remember being in Ireland and asking a couple for directions and the brogue was so thick we couldn't understand a thing they said.

Pandora Behr said...

Hey PM,

You asked if we Australians used the word bollocks. We do, but it's not as prevalent as it is in the UK. I use it a bit as I love how it feels when you spit it out. I think we use it more in sayings like " Well, that's the dog's bollocks" as opposed it meaning bullshit (another word I like too). Sending you a song which gives the Australian ethos of the word.

https://youtu.be/qNwWzBXIycQ

Pand

Roger Owen Green said...

Blue or green, those are mine. It HAD to include GREEN!

Lisa said...

You are right - a southern Irish accent is a good accent. I didn't think of that when I was writing my answers yesterday. What in the world are flame raisins? My husband loves spicy food and he loves raisins. Do you eat them with almonds?

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Bev,

Ha ha - I thought some people might struggle with it and yes, I can confirm that it is English. The chorus is:

"Am yow a yam yam. Ah said ar bab I am,
Talkin in an accent that yow might not understond
but the fowks in the Black Country am the best in all the land
So no I ay a Brummie but a yam yam ar I am"

which translates to:

"Are you a yam yam (from the Black Country). I said, yes, babe, I am,
Talking in an accent that you might not understand.
But the people from the Black Country are the best in all the land.
So, no, I am not a Brummie (a person from Birmingham) but a yam yam, yes I am".

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

HI Pand,

Yes - we use "dog's bollocks" too. Thanks for confirming your use of the word. :o)

The video was amusing and I noticed they are in the Manchester in March playing a gig. Obviously people know about them over here.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Roger,

Yes - Green's okay too. I have a few green T-shirts and shirts.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Lisa,

Flame raisins are just big beefy and very favoursome raisins - they are divine. And yes I mix them with almonds - the combination is very tasty and very healthy too.

:o)

Cheers

PM

**Syl said...

I was 11 when my father took me to England.
We stayed with a family, friends of y father.
An old guy came in ad started to talk to me..i couldn't undertand him at all.
Old Georgie taught me "firm black country". He was a retired miner and enjoyed teaching a skinny little girl his miners language.
Last summer I met someone from Walsall.. I found out I couldn't speak it anymore (but I'll learn it again). He spoke to me in Black Country and none could understand him but I. That was fun!

I enjoyed your answers.

Have a great day!

CountryDew said...

We are the only ones who chose 8 as our favorite number. I suspect if we were to meet, we might be friends. :-) Which would be nice because one can never have enough friends.

Lori said...

Rush is a fantastic band. I enjoy them. I have so many really good memories attached to The Cars which is why I chose them. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Kwizgiver said...

A high school chum of mine was really into Rush--we would drive around listening to them for hours.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Syl,

Ha ha - that's excellent. The Black Country dialect is tough to understand even for English people who aren't from around that area - let alone an American or Australian.

I don't have that accent any more - well maybe a hint of it.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi CD,

I agree - friends are cool - and yes, we are almost the same age so we would be fine friends I reckon.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Lori,

Rush were fantastic - some songs by the Cars are good too.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Kwizgiver,

I still listen to them a lot.

:o)

Cheers

PM