Saturday 27 August 2022

Upstream Life Part Two


Welcome to South Manchester on a warm and sunny afternoon. 

Shall we answer some silly questions from Sunday Stealing?

1. Your favourite sport.

My favourite sport is football, not the game that Americans play that is like rugby with armour, but proper football, known as soccer in America. In the UK we rarely if ever call the game soccer – it is football!

The team I support, Walsall, are languishing in the fourth tier of the English Football League. They are my home town team and I handed my football soul over to them when I was too young to know any different and I have supported them ever since. There have been highs and lows over the decades, mostly lows if I’m honest, and the last two seasons have been a terrible low point. They finished in the lowest league position in my lifetime the season before last but have started this new season a little better. The club has acquired a new investment and there seems to be some money knocking about. Consequently Walsall have made a reasonable start in the early days and I hope that we actually get somewhere this season. 

2. A quote to live by.

“Try to be good. And if you can’t be good – be careful”

3. A city in the US you would like to move to.

The city I would give the dubious honour of accommodating the Plastic Mancunian, should I choose to ever uproot and go across the pond is San Francisco. I have been once and spent a very enjoyable four or five days there on holiday (or on vacation as an American might say). 

I wanted to go there ever since I watched Steve McQueen in Bullitt:

I was a total tourist; I went up the Transamerica Pyramid, ate a meal in Chinatown and Fisherman’s Wharf, took a trip to Alcatraz, had a ride in a car up and down these amazingly steep hills, had a ride on a cable car, had a trip to Sausolito, visited Golden Gate Park and even managed to find time to do some wine tasting in the Napa Valley.

I would of course have to change my blog name to The Plastic San Franciscan – a bit of a mouthful but I think it works.

4. 3 beautiful little things in your life.

Mrs PM and my two kids, I reckon.

5. What made you laugh today?

Last night I recorded a TV show called “The Last Leg” which is a comedy show that takes an irreverent look at the news, presented by Australian comedian Adam Hills. I watched it this morning and as usual it made me laugh. Here is a taste of it what it is like:

6. A good deed you did today

I’ve haven’t had much of a chance to do a good deed today. I’ve fed the cats though – I guess that’s a good deed.

7. Activities you like to do when you are bored.

If I’m bored, I tend to watch a bit of TV or sit at my laptop and either write jibberish (like this) or watch funny videos on You Tube. I sometimes also play a football game on my PS4.

8. Are you a procrastinator?

I’m less of a procrastinator than I was a few years ago. These days I have various techniques that push me into doing things that I need to do. 

Sadly, it doesn’t always work though.

9. Your thoughts about dying

I plan to live forever.

10. What super power would like to have?

I would like to have the ability to become invisible and I would use that technique to go places where I shouldn’t like to a gig or a football match without a ticket. 

I would also like the ability to teleport. That way I could travel to a foreign land in the blink of an eye and be back home for tea.

I think I’d also like to be able to read minds. I’d be a bit worried about what I may find in there. 

11. Top 3 Netflix series

Stranger Things is absolutely incredible. Mrs PM and I have recently binge watched season 4 and we simply can’t wait for season 5 (which I believe will be the last one sadly).

Squid Game is also brilliant. 

I’m currently watching the Umbrella Academy which is also very good:

12.  Things you want to do before you die

I’d just like to travel to as many countries as I can and also write a novel (even a crap one).

13. Your biggest fears

I’m terrified of heights, which is odd because I never used to be.

In terms of what is happening in the world, I’m a little worried about what is happening and the way we as a world are sleepwalking towards oblivion. 

The UK itself is also sleepwalking into disaster with these two pillocks fighting to be the next Prime Minister. I don’t want either of them.


14. What makes you angry?

Many things – for example the two people I mentioned in the last question.

15. Do you listen to podcasts?

No but I want to start doing that. In fact, I did once consider creating my own; I don’t think that is going to happen though.


 

18 comments:

annie said...

Totally agree with your super powers. It would be so handy.
It seem everyone loves Stranger Things. I have yet to check it out. I will have to do that.

River said...

#2; my mum used to say that to us every time we left the house as teenagers.
I loved season one of Stranger Things and I have seen season two but can't remember much about it.

Pandora Behr said...

As always, we think alike in a few things - though Squid Game is a bit violent for me (but I love Stranger Things - fantastic, innit. Maybe we could meet for a drink if we moved to San Francisco.. (Says she who's looking at coming back to the UK soon.

Also, good luck with your new Prime Minister. We kicked out our last one and life feels a lot better now. The old one was an absolute pillock.

Lisa said...

The Plastic San Fransican has a nice ring to it! I've never been to California but would like to visit one day.

Stacy said...

I've never been to San Francisco, myself, but it must be a place well worth the visit if you would choose it to relocate to after all the places in the world you have been to.

I'm a terrible procrastinator, but like you, I've been trying to push myself through it and get things done. Also like you, I'm not always successful.

Have a wonderful week!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Annie,

I think you will like it. ALl of the rave reviews for the show are totally justified.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

We're up to date with it now (Season 4) - to me it just gets better and better.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Yes Squid Game is quite violent. I love the concept though. Yeah - San Francisco is a good place to have fun. Both the US and the UK are difficult for you to get to As is Australia for me.

I'm glad we kicked out the clown but the two potential candidates are almost as bad. I must not rant.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Stacey,

San Francisco is the place I would go to if I were to relocate to the States but I would prefer Hong Kong or somewhere by the sea in the SOuth of France or Spain.

I can't see it happening though. But I will visit these places again.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Lisa,

California is very nice. I wasn't too keen on the sprawl that is Los Angeles but San Francisco was great.

:o)

Cheers

PM

CountryDew said...

I too have thought about creating a podcast, but haven't any idea how to go about it. Everyone seems to know how to make money online except me.

Roger Owen Green said...

Sorry, The Last Leg video does not show in the US. No way I want to read people's minds; I'm afraid to learn what I don't want to know!

Kwizgiver said...

I don't procrastinate too much--except when it comes to housekeeping. There's always something better to do than to clean!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I’ve got 23 years of wonderful memories of living in San Francisco!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi CD,

There are ways to make money online, especially if you are a decent writer, which you are. I don't necessarily want to make money with podcasts - just do it for fun (like the blog).

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Roger,

It's a shame - it's quite funny.

Yes - I agree with your thoughts about reading people's minds.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Kwizgiver,

I totally agree - housework is a pain the backside - but it does have to be done.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Su-sieeee,

I can imagine. It looks like a fab place to live.

:o)

Cheers

PM