Saturday 5 November 2022

Fawkes

 

Welcome to a damp and overcast South Manchester on November 5th, the day when we in the UK burn an effigy of a man called Guy Fawkes who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605. He failed but for some reason we still celebrate this fact.

Most bonfires will have an effigy of poor Guy Fawked. However, in Edenbridge, they have decided to burn an effigy of Liz Truss instead. I guess in a way you could argue that she tried to destroy the UK in her brief and disastrous stint as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Liz Fawkes

Personally, I would have three effigies; Truss, the Clown and a man who was once described as a “haunted pencil”, a man called Jacob Rees-Mogg, a man with traditional values, but sadly traditions that were popular in Victorian Britain. 

A haunted Victorian pencil

Thankfully, Rees-Mogg has now been relegated from the cabinet into the obscurity of the back benches where he can hopefully keep his horrendous views to himself.

Anyway, as I said, today is Bonfire Night and there will be loads of bonfires throughout the United Kingdom and lots of firework displays to accompany them. I shall not be attending any myself but there will be armies of people doing so, despite the potentially terrible weather.

Anyway, if you want to read about the gunpowder plot that gave birth to our tradition, here is a post I wrote about it back in 2009. 

Shall we answer some silly questions from Sunday Stealing

1.    Have you ever written to a celebrity?  Did they respond?

I once tweeted Joe Satriani to say that I loved his new album, which at the time was Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards. I don’t think he replied.

 2.  Do you read letters immediately, or wait until ready to reply

I don’t get letters these days from anybody other than banks, or other people expecting to me to part with my money. I usually read them as soon as they arrive and, once I have dealt with them, I add them to the paper recycling bin.

 3.   My preferences when it comes to reading

I am weird, so I like weird books. My favourite genres include science fiction, and anything of that ilk. I used to really like horror but I am less into such books these days, reading only the occasional one. I also like a good thriller, especially if it involves spies and conspiracies, like the works of Robert Ludlum, the man who created Jason Bourne.

 4.   What I'm least likely to change my mind about.

Politics. I am fairly stubborn in my beliefs and when it comes to watching and listening to people whose views are opposite to mine, I grant them the courtesy of listening and trying to understand them, but I struggle. 

For example, when the UK committed a colossal act of self-harm by leaving the European Union, I was and remain beside myself in anger because I simply cannot understand why there would be any benefit. What is most frustrating is that those who voted to leave simply cannot justify why they did so or even list any advantages of doing so. 

I am still angry about it after all these years, especially when I travel to the EU and now have to justify why I am entering their country, when before all I had to do was show my passport. 

In the interests of keeping myself calm, I rarely engage with people about Brexit these days. I prefer to walk away or just insist upon changing the subject.

 5.   The topics I would get wrong about during trivia

I am very good with music unless it comes after the year 2000, in which case I am absolutely useless. Anything to do with art also bamboozles me (mainly because I am not a fan of art and tend to avoid it). 

I am not bad at quizzes because I have a weird ability to retain useless information. Mrs PM is quite astounded when we watch a TV quiz because I can answer a lot of the questions. I don’t fancy ever going on a TV show though.  

 6.   What I'm hopeful about right now? 

Given the economic crisis in the UK and the war going with Russian nutcase Vlad the invader, I struggle to have hope about anything.

There are signs though. The current UK government are in a mess and their position in the polls is low enough to suggest that they will be turfed out when the next election comes around. 

I just hope that Putin either changes his mind or is overthrown before things escalate more.

 7.   Philosophies I've learned/embraced from others.

I’m always fascinated by rampant extroverts and either consciously or subconsciously picked up some of their traits. I have also tried to become more tolerant as the years go by, because, as some people have told me, there is nothing you can do about things anyway so there is little point trying to change people’s minds. 

In the interests of harmony, I avoid such conflicting debates these days. 

Life is too short.

 8.   What makes home feel like home?

I love the feeling that when I get home, I can enter a place that is basically full of everything that makes me feel comfortable and secure as soon as I close the door. There isn’t one particular thing but effectively I can shut out the outside world and become that introvert again.

 9.    Talents and skills I like to cultivate

 I always want to learn. I have worked in IT for almost 40 years and the very nature of that career requires me to learn the latest and greatest new technologies. I apply that same philosophy to life outside work too. For example, I try to improve myself by acquiring (or at least trying to acquire) new skills. 

I am learning Spanish at the moment and have been doing so for a few years on and off. I would love to be able to learn other languages too and improve on my French German and, dare I say, English too.

I am also trying to teach myself the piano and progress is definitely being made. I always thought it would be impossible to coordinate my left and right hands and I seem to be slowly learning to do just that. I am hoping that this will become a good project for when I retire. I would love to invest in a synthesiser for example and use my laptop to create some music of my own. 

And of course, I always try to improve myself as a human being – as I have alluded to above.

10.   What makes my heart race

Lucy Verasamy makes my heart skip a beat. She’s a weather girl on ITV and I must admit that I struggle to remember what the weather is going to be like once her bulletins have finished.

Of course, my heartbeat increases when I go on my daily three to four mile walk as well.

11.  What power means to me

These days it is almost synonymous with abuse. When you look at some of the leaders we have had in the world recently like Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro, Kim Jong-Un and of course Vladimir Putin, to name just a few, I honestly despair. 

We have had such people in power in the past of course and you rarely find decent leaders.

As I have said before, when I become World President all of these people and many many more will be put on a fleet of spaceships and dispatched into deepest space on a mission to find a new planet to ruin. 

You might say that is an abuse of power but I disagree. 

12.  Some of my comfort hobbies.

I like to write – even though the words I write are absolute gobbledygook. In the thousands of paragraphs of utter garbage, I occasionally find a couple of gems. It’s like prospecting for gold.

13.  Last time I was pleasantly surprised

On my 60th birthday, there was a whip round at work and I received some cash and a birthday card signed by some of my colleagues. I was pleasantly surprised by that I have to say, mainly because I tried to keep a low profile.

14.   How was my October 2022?

As I mentioned above, it was quite good. I turned 60 (which was not that good) but I got to visit a new country – Denmark – on a brief city break to Copenhagen.

15.   Those who inspire my growth

There are far too many people to mention. I find inspiration in most people I meet and talk to, no matter who they are. Even in the case of somebody like Boris Johnson, he would inspire me to be nothing like him.


10 comments:

Lisa said...

As always, I enjoy reading your answers! Hope you have a great week!

Kwizgiver said...

What fun that your colleagues celebrated your milestone birthday! Mine didn't acknowledge my birthday (granted it wasn't a milestone, but still).

Roger Owen Green said...

This American thought Brexit was a TERRIBLE idea!

Lori said...

I think as I have aged, I have also become more tolerant. It is a nice thing about aging. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

CountryDew said...

Being nothing like someone who has characteristics you despise is a good inspiration! I like that. Congrats on the piano work - good for you for continuing to work at it. And happy late birthday!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Lisa,

Work aside - it will be a great week.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Kwizgiver,

They only tend to acknowledge milestone birthdays - and leaving the company of course.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Roger,

It IS a STUPID idea!!

I've spoken to Europeans who can't understand why we would shoot ourselves in the foot like that.

I despair!

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Lori,

Part of it is caring less and less.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi CD,

I'm terrible - but slowly slowly getting better.

:o)

Cheers

PM