Friday 31 October 2014

Ambient Rock



I’m off on my travels again next week, this time a short holiday to Berlin. I’ve only been to Germany once, a visit to the Oktoberfest in Munich way back in 1983, when I took on German beer and lost spectacularly.

I thought that it was about time I revisited the country to practice my German again (as poor as it is), and I think it might be nice to start a tradition where I share some of my thoughts about music before trips, before sharing some photos and experience of my visit on my return.

I was going to post some music about Hallowe’en since it’s 31st October today, but rather than encourage something I don’t really believe in, I’ve decided to go to the other extreme and prove to people who hate rock music, that some of the loudest and most obnoxious bands (in their eyes anyway) can be a source of calming pleasure.

Here are five glorious rocks songs that you can relax to with a glass of wine in a candlelit room with your loved one in your arms.

Steven Wilson – Veneno Para Las Hadas




Regular readers will know that I am a huge fan of progressive rock maestro Steven Wilson. He seems to improve with every album, and while his music wouldn’t really be described as “heavy”, his band Porcupine Tree have produced some fantastic rock music. This particular track is from his first solo album called Insurgentes and is a beautiful, slow and mesmerising masterpiece.

Nine Inch Nails – Ghosts 1 – 9

  

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is another musical maestro in my view and his music forms a large percentage of my collection. A few years ago, he produced a double album entitled Ghosts I to 4, containing 36 instrumental tracks, nine for each Ghost part. This is the final part of Ghosts I and is a very pleasant little tune.

Foo Fighters – Still




I’m really looking to the new Foo Fighters album in November and I daresay it will have a dominant position in my car for the next few months or so. While the band can produce some magnificent rockers, they are very good at taking it easy and producing a mellow ambient song. In fact, this is one of my favourite songs by the band.

Black Sabbath – Fluff




People who hate rock music hate Black Sabbath in particular. Yet, if you had never heard of the band and listened to this song first of all, you would find it very difficult to imagine that they were the founders of heavy metal with Ozzy Osbourne at the helm. This is a beautiful song and shows just what great musicians they are.

Rammstein – Ein Lied (A Song) 



It seems fitting that the final song comes from a German band. Rammstein are controversial and sometimes very heavy. Yet they too can turn the volume down and produce a lovely little ambient piece. Again, if this was the first song by the band you had heard, you would have no idea of their reputation nor would you imagine there explosive antics on stage.

Anyway, I hope you like the songs and I shall return with photos of Berlin in due course.

7 comments:

H2B said...

Thank you Mr PM! I am tempted to say that I am converted.
Have a fabulous trip!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi H2B,

In my last post, I said suggested that one should scare themselves every day.

Take that plunge...

:o)

Cheers

PM

Pandora Behr said...

No matter how they try, Rammstein still sount a bit menacing - just not as menacing as usual. Cool post. Pand

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

You're right. The singer has a deep menacing voice that doesn't lend itself to ambience.

:o)

Cheers

PM

River said...

I tried to listen to these, I really did, but I only heard Black sabbath all the way through. That's a lovely piece. I closed my eyes for it and got an image of a solo skater dancing around the ice in a darkened arena lit with twinkling fairy lights, lots of blues and shadowy blacks a flash of purple and silver here and there. I don't get that from a lot of music.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

I'm glad you like it. There's another similar song by Black Sabbath called Laguna Sunrise which is similar.

I can guarantee that you would absolutely hate anything else by them though.

:o)

Cheers

PM

River said...

I'll listen to it on you tube.