Sunday 22 September 2013

My A to Z Of Food


I love food. In fact, I haven’t met a person or animal that doesn’t like food. I know for a fact that some people love food more than others – and that’s also true of my cats. Jasper (aka “Fatty”) loves his food so much that he can barely haul his fat arse off the chair to wobble into the kitchen for his bowl of food.

While trawling the internet, I found another A to Z meme, this time food related, and I thought might be fun to have a go at.

As usual, please feel free to steal it.

A - Are you adventurous when it comes to trying unusual food?

Yes and no. There are certain things I will not try – such as insects or gastropods. I have eaten outside my comfort zone, particularly in China, Japan, Australia and even Europe. Most recently in Japan, Mrs PM and I were served an authentic multi-course meal and the waiter took great pleasure in telling us exactly what we were eating, including bizarre foodstuffs like sea urchin. I didn’t think people ate sea urchin. Recently in the UK and France, there was a scandal where it was discovered that everyday processed foodstuffs, such as lasagne, actually contained horsemeat instead of beef. I have to say that I actually willingly had a horse steak in Zurich and I loved it. Sometimes we Brits are a little stuffy when it comes to food; I think we should be more adventurous as a nation.

B - Breakfast – what does your typical breakfast consist of?

During the week I have Oat Flakes with raisins and a banana, all washed down with a glass of grapefruit juice. At the weekend I sometimes treat myself to bacon and egg or toast
or all three, all washed down with a nice strong cup of tea.

C - Comfort food – what do you reach for when you need cheering up?

I’m quite happy to eat a cheese sandwich and a cup of tea.

D - Describe a dessert to die for.

Black Forest Gateaux. I am not usually a dessert person, preferring cheese and biscuits to a sugary, creamy calorific mess that makes you fat just looking at it. However, I cannot resist a Black Forest Gateaux because the combination of ingredients hits a spot – and makes me feel dreadful afterwards, firstly because I have almost certainly put on several pounds, and secondly because I rarely eat desserts, I actually start to feel queasy.

E-  Eggs – sunny side up, scrambled, poached or another way – how do you like yours?

I like eggs, scrambled, fried, boiled and poached. I’m not that fussy to be honest.

F - Fruit – do you find it fiddly or fab? What’s your favourite?

I love fruit. My favourites are apples, bananas, grapefruit, nectarines, peaches, plums and oranges. I eat at least one piece of fruit a day.

G - Gourmet food – what do you make of it?

Sometimes I think it is overpriced rubbish. However, there have been occasions when I have been pleasantly surprised by the amazing taste. The problem is I still feel hungry afterwards.

H - Hangover food – what works for you? 

A full English breakfast: Bacon, eggs, sausages, toast, black pudding and lots of fruit juice.

I - Ice cream – what’s your favourite flavour?

I’m not a huge fan of ice cream but I really like the chocolate chip ice cream I had from Ben and Jerry’s last time I was in the US. Also, Italian ice cream is particularly nice.

J - Juices – just one fruit or a cocktail of flavours? And your favourite juice?

Grapefruit juice is my favourite but I sometimes mix it with orange juice (usually when we are low on one of them). Apple juice is also extremely pleasant as are most juices if I’m honest.

K - Are you a Kitchen King / Queen or a total disaster?

I hate cooking but when I do cook, I am a Kitchen King.  I have never had a disaster yet and I think I could impress a young lady with a wonderful meal, if I were ever to be young, free and single again. Mrs PM certainly likes my culinary efforts, although I’m not sure whether that is because it tastes good or because she wants me to continue cooking and is therefore buttering me up.

L - Lunch – tell us about a lovely lunch, real or ideal. Where? What? Who with?

I love a lunch with Mrs PM and/or friends in a pub or bistro that served decent light wholesome food. However, there are a few celebrities I wouldn’t mind having lunch with. One day I’ll make a list for a separate post.

M - Money is no object so what would you order in a restaurant?

I think I would go for a monstrous and very expensive steak.

N - No way! I’m not eating that! What foods turn your stomach?

Rhubarb. The very thought of putting it in my mouth makes me feel sick. It belongs in Hell (where I am absolutely certain it grows in abundance). It ought to be the 11th commandment: THOU SHALT NOT EAT RHUBARB! Rhubarb should be ILLEGAL!

O - Octopus – would you? Have you? How was it?

Yes I would – and I have on several occasions. It was wonderful. The first time I ate octopus was in a Greek restaurant in Liverpool in 1984. The last time was in a restaurant in Kyoto, Japan earlier this year.

P - Picnics – describe your perfect picnic platter.

Sandwiches, cheese, biscuits, fruit and plenty of wine and beer.

Q - Quick snack – what do you go for when you need something fast?

Sorry to be boring but I usually make a sandwich – or as we say here in Manchester – a butty. I also like olives or a piece of fruit. Mind you, if we have any in, I will also go for chocolate and/or crisps.

R - Roasted, baked, chips or mash? What’s the best way of cooking potatoes?

In this order: mashed, chips, baked, boiled.

S - Signature dish – what’s yours? Why?

Pasta. I can whip up a decent pasta dish in 15 minutes. Quick, easy and delicious.

T - Toast – how can something so simple be so complicated? How do you like yours?

Toast is toast is toast. My favourite toast has lashings of melted cheese on it. Or marmite (I realise that people either love or hate marmite; I love it – I’m sorry).

U - Underrated food you think everyone should try.

Avocado is underrated in my opinion. I love it in salads, on sandwiches with salmon and of course guacamole is simply wonderful. I know people who hate it – or at least claim to, most of whom have never tried it and simply don’t like the look of it.

V - Vegetarian dishes you love or hate.

I hate anything with celery in it. I love a decent salad.

W - Weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten.

Sea urchin.

X - X-rated – what food gets you in the mood?

Anything – if I’m in the mood I am simply in the mood. I have tried oysters but I have to say I will never ever do that again; one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten.

Y - Yuckiest meal? What? Where? Why?

I have mentioned this before but I will again; eel stew in Hong Kong. It tasted as disgusting as it looked. Why did I have it? Because I was feeling adventurous, despite the earnings from one of my colleagues who urged me not to try it.

Z - Zero calorie options – are they an option for you? Why?

Absolutely but I need to have something that contains a little substance alongside it. I am slightly overweight but not really fat and I think that having a balanced diet is the key to staying slim. It’s fine to have a monstrously highly calorific meal but you need to cut down later. It works for me and I reckon it could work for most people.

And finally …

As I said above, please feel free to steal this meme. I would be interested in your answers.



12 comments:

H2B said...

If you can eat only one of type of food the rest of your life, what will you choose? Mine will be oyster. If you can only eat one of type of cuisine the rest of your life, what will it be? Mine will be Japanese. Rob's choice will be chocolate and Malaysian respectively. We have a dozen of oysters every sat during winter. During summer, oysters turn horrible raw.

Plastic Mancunian said...

hi H2B,

Food for the rest of my life? Cheese.

Cuisine? Probably Mexican or maybe Chinese.

Oysters - URRRGGHHH!!! (Sorry :-( )

:-)

Cheers

PM

Elephant's Child said...

You ate out of your comfort zone in Oz? What was it? Much of our food is on the dull side. Or were you eating our coat of arms?
My eating varies. I get hooked on something and eat a lot of it. And then stop - sometimes for years.
And I love rhubarb.
Offal turned my stomach (long before I became a vegetarian). And I still remember the horror of eating tongue - feeling its taste buds, tasting me as I tasted it...

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

Yes - but only kangaroo, which I ate voluntarily. We don't eat kangaroo up here you see.

Yes - offal turns my stomach too. I've had tongue before - that didn't bother me.

:-)

Cheers

PM

H2B said...

Oh well, one man's meat is another's poison. More oysters for me. Love sea urchin too. Ate the whole tray by myself at the tuna market in Tokyo.

I completely agree with you regarding rhubarb though.

drb said...

In Singapore, there is a popular stew completely made up of chopped up offal - small intestine, colon, lungs, stomach, ears and snout, cubes of congealed bloodI love it when I was a kid. I love brains too. Have not tried eyeballs (not counting fishes') nor testicles. Another favourite Singaporean dish is fish head curry.

I know lots of people will love offal if they did not realise what thy are eating. It is all in the head.

Of course I love haggis.

I believe that if you kill an animal for food, you should respect it and not waste any parts.

River said...

I'll take your rhubarb and you can keep your octopus. I used to do a bacon and egg Sunday Breakfast, but I find bacon too salty now, so have Sunday Pancakes instead.
I love a good black Forest Gateaux too, but it has to be real cream not that awful mock cream.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi H2B,

Would that be the fish market in Tokyo?

We got up early to visit that - a wonderful place, if not a little gruesome.

:-)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi DrB,

I can understand it - but I don't like it. I have had offal and I genuinely am not keen.

Haggis is revolting - dry and looks awful.

:-)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

You can have my oysters too - and any celery that comes my way.

I prefer the mock cream to real cream - does that make me weird?

:-)

Cheers

PM

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

Well, no food is off the menu for me. I'll try anything at least once to experience it. I love sea urchins and oysters but I think you're right about the rhubarb. It's just so sharp mate.
One of my favourite markets is Borough Market, where I buy kangaroo, ostrich and crocodile meat etc. The meat is so tasty and much better for you. I also love offal too. Once you know about seasonings and how to flavour certain foods and cook them right so they don't end up like bubble gum, everything is wonderful.

Anyway, I've got the juices flowing right now and I feel like cooking up a Full English right now.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi RPD,

Yes - tried kangaroo, ostrich and crocodile but as I said - not keen at all on offal.

Enjoy your Full English.

:-)

Cheers

PM