Thursday 19 January 2012

31 Days of Blogging - Day 19


Day 19 – Richard Marx – Hazard



There aren’t many songs that make me cry – but this one does. I think it is truly beautiful and as I am typing this I am struggling to focus on the words that I are appearing on the screen because my eyes are teary – and I am not making that up – because I am listening to the song as I type and it always fills me with emotion – without fail.

I’m not sure why the song does this to me. It is such a sad song and makes me imagine myself suffering the same plight as the poor soul in the song.

“I swear I left her by the river – I swear I left her safe and sound” – that line gets me every time.

It is quite amazing really that a song can have such a profound effect on a person. And for a man to admit that he openly cries at music is something that is quite difficult.

But I am admitting it here and now – and I don’t care. I will face the consequences and the piss-taking from my mates who read this blog.

I cry at a lot of things – but most of the time I try to disguise it. Why? Because I succumb to the macho man inside who considers crying to be a thing that only girls do.

I have sat in cinemas and watched movies that have actually grabbed a hold of my heartstrings and wrenched so hard that my entire body has convulsed forcing a waterfall of tears to flood down my cheeks.

And I have been embarrassed by that.

As I have got older though, I have to say that I care less about being embarrassed.

Hence my confession in this post.

It’s not a bad thing, is it, dear reader?

I am sure that female readers will sympathise with me and male readers will possibly be torn between saying – “You big girl’s blouse” while others will say “Yes – I struggle with that too.”

To those men who regard this as a struggle, I suggest that we make a pact – you and I – to allow ourselves the privilege of showing our emotions openly in public.

How can we do that?

I’ve started by admitting that a beautiful song makes me cry.

We can also not try to “pretend to be tired” when the lights go up at the end of heart-wrenching movie and admit that the film was so emotional that you simply could not help the tears gushing out of your eyes.

And best of all, get your mates to do the same, even those macho guys who reckon that they never ever cry.

I have a message for those guys – I don’t believe you.

There must be a movie that makes you cry – or a song that fills you up.

There is emotional empathy in all of us – even meatheads.

You just need to turn on the tap and let it all out – just like I have (though there may actually be something in my eyes - BOTH of them).

6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. I had never heard that song, and now it is haunting me. Based on real events do you know?
I view tears as ridding my body of toxins and sometimes there are a lot of them to be cleansed.
And it makes you stronger in my eyes to admit to tears. Thank you.

River said...

I LOVE this song! Yes, it makes me cry too, so do several other songs and many movies. I used to hold all that in too, but now I just let the tears flow.
And I don't think men are any less manly for being emotional enough to cry when something moves them.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

Not sure whether it is based on true events but it most definitely haunting, isn't it?

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

In the end, we can't help crying. For me it was (and sometimes still is) difficult to hold back the tears - so yes - I do let them flow mostly.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Kath Lockett said...

Mr Marx's best song by a long, long, shot. Such a sad, sad story too - poor lonely guy finally finds love and acceptance..... before she disappears and the narrow-minded town blames him. *Sniffle*

LC cries in sad movies - recent examples seen via DVD or telly include Gallipoli, Brassed Off and Titanic.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Bonjour Kath,

Glad to hear about LC.

Titanic does it for me as well - and I don't like the film at all.

:0)

Cheers

PM