Sunday 14 November 2021

Some More Favourites

 

Welcome to a cloudy but dry south Manchester on day 117 since the Clown we have in charge of the country eased Covid-19 restrictions. I have now had my third Covid-19 vaccination because, being over 50, I am considered to be “vulnerable”. I’m not complaining and I still struggle to see why some people haven’t even had one injection yet.

I have had three and I have not grown a second head, there are no nanobots in my bloodstream recording my whereabouts to send to Bill Gates, I have not become magnetic and I am still, as far as I can tell, 100% human; my DNA has not been modified in any way.

Shall we dive into some silliness from Sunday Stealing

Name your favourite …

Place:

There are lots of favourite places I can name and it would be difficult to pick one out – so I am going to name a few off the top of my head as they occur to me:

Hong Kong

Manchester

Marbella, Spain

Santorini, Greece

New York City

London

Nice, France

Japan (the whole country)

Sydney, Australia

Sorrento, Italy

Colour:

I like a lot of colours but I would say that teal is my favourite.

Smell:

Here are a few:

Bacon

The smell of the English countryside on a summer’s day

Coffee being brewed

Baking bread

The smell of the ocean

Magazine:

I don’t really read magazines these days but the most recent one I bought (a few years ago now) was Classic Rock:

Texture:

I don’t really have a favourite texture if I’m honest. Something nice and soft to the touch I guess and let you use your imagination.

Thing to do when bored:   

When I’m bored, I will listen to music, watch TV, read or write inane ramblings on my laptop. I have so much rubbish written down. Depending on the weather I like going for a walk too.

Precious stone:

I don’t have a favourite precious stone. I’ll say jet – because it is a nice black colour - and I have goth tendencies.

Animal:

I love dogs and cats. I would love a dog but, alas, it is too tough on them at the moment as I haven’t the time to give them the care and companionship they need. Since we now have two young black cats, the likelihood of me ever getting a dog is very slim.  

Time in history:

I’m a little intrigued by the time when we were ruled by a psychotic nutcase called Henry VIII. I would love to be a fly on the wall in his court.

Font:

I use a few fonts. I am writing this in Word using Calibri, but I also use Arial, Times New Roman and, sometimes, Segoe UI. 

Sound:

I am a little weird when it comes to sounds. I love to hear the wind blowing and I love thunderstorms. I also love the sound of waves crashing on the shore and the dawn chorus when I go for a walk at 6 o’clock in the morning as the sun is about to rise.

Fruit:

I love apples, plums, nectarines, peaches and bananas. Actually there are lots of other fruits I like but those are the most common ones I eat.

Vegetable:

I like most vegetables to be honest, especially carrots, potatoes, peas, corn and broccoli. The only one I avoid is dark green veiny cabbage.

Store/shop:

I don’t really like shopping at all but if I have to choose one, it would be a shop that sells gadgets and electronic devices, such as phones, laptops, games consoles, TV’s etc. No particular shop leaps to mind.

Quote(s):

Here are some good ones.

Billy Connolly: “The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one.”

Steve Martin: “Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they can have an excuse to drink alcohol.”

Dave Barry: “Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals like Hydrogen and Oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.”

Historical figure:

I am going to say Henry VIII again. The man was mad – but very interesting.

Letter:

Favourite letter? That’s an odd favourite to ask. I will say D because my name is Dave and that is the initial letter.

Memory:

I would say that it is probably exploring Hong Kong with Mrs PM when we first got together there.

Dessert:

Black Forest Gateau.

Candy:

Candy is an America word – we call them sweets across the pond. I don’t eat that much “candy” to be honest so I will just say Extra Dark Lindor.

Restaurant:

There are far too many restaurants that I like both here in Manchester and abroad. I will pick on close to home – the Yang Sing Chinese restaurant in Manchester and its younger sibling The Little Yang Sing.

Language:

I can speak a little German, more French and I am getting there with Spanish. I will say that French sounds the best because you can insult anybody in French and it still sounds beautiful.

Thing to learn about:

Everything and anything. I am always keen to learn something new. If you can learn something new everyday your life will improve.

Thing about yourself:

I look young for my age – I am 59 years old but can pass for a man at least 15 years younger (unless I grow a beard). 

I am fairly intelligent (you need to be to work with computers all day).

I am also quite funny – or at least I can be.

Please don’t ask what I dislike about myself – I will be here all week.

14 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

I also find the Tudors fascinating. Terrifying but fascinating

LA Paylor said...

always a pleasure to come over to your place. congrats on surviving the vaccine and not overly funny that people actually believe the crazy things they do...has reason and good sense left the building?
my fave is black forest cake too, we're still trying to improve our French. One teacher asked if I was Spanish because I spoke French with a Spanish accent. I blinked... oh, my high school French teacher was cuban...
LeeAnna

The Gal Herself said...

Calibri is a good, serviceable font. I've worked with art directors who hate it and Arial both because they feel they're PUSHED to use them by Microsoft and Apple. But I like them. Blogger has me looking at this comment in Courier and it practically HURTS to read. How did we survive those long-ago days when it was our only choice?

Kwizgiver said...

I am always told that I look young for my age, too. When I was a teen, I was told I looked older than my years. Go figure.

Bev Sykes said...

I've always been fascinated by Henry VIII but don't think I would like to live in his world. Maybe for the fly on the wall.

CountryDew said...

That's a good lookin' cake picture. I envy your travels. I always wanted to do more traveling when I was younger and in better health.

River said...

Dessert, Black Forest Gateau, yes, but it has to be fresh and have REAL cream. I've tried too many in restaurants where the cake is dry and the cream is mock. A REAL Black Forest cake has the slightly sour black cherry filling between the layers along with the real cream.
Most of your other favourites, well a good portion of them, mirror mine, apart from the favourite places. I haven't travelled, so my favourites are local and all of them coastal.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Songbird,

Yes - I wouldn't want to live during that time.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi LeeAnna,

Sometimes I think good sense has left the building. Look at the Clown we have as UK Prime Minister?

French with a Spanish accent? My French teacher was English - so that's how they know.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Gal Herself,

I use Courier at work to highlight commands to run when using a computer. That's all. Not a brilliant font.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Kwizgiver,

I have always looked young for my age - it was infuriating at first but now it's great.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi bev,

He was a mad tyrant - not a nice chap at all.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi CD,

It's never too late to travel.

You would love it.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

I totally agree about the cake. We had one last Christmas and it was divine.

:o)

Cheers

PM