Sunday 1 February 2015

Our House In The Middle Of Our Street


In my wrap up post for last year, I suggested that I might try a couple of 30 day challenges, in order to have a little fun, learn something new or just make a couple of tiny improvements.

I have just completed two in a month.

I thought I would start with easy challenges, just to ease me into the concept and acclimatise me to the discipline required.

The first challenge was to walk at least two miles a day for 30 days. I usually go for a lunchtime walk at work just to get me away from my desk but I don’t usually force myself to walk as far as two miles, usually a little under. Also, I don’t walk every day at weekends.

This proved to be easier than I thought. Armed with an application on my phone and a pedometer to measure distance etc., I marched around the streets with my trusty iPod as a guide, pumping out decent well timed music.

When the snow came, last week, it was a little tougher but I completed the challenge with a 2.3 mile walk around Didsbury.

The pedometer proved to be extremely useful because it measured how far I walked during the rest of the day, rather than just on a two mile walk around the block – I was surprised to be honest that I actually walked probably twice that distance just ambling around the office, running up the stairs etc.

My second challenge was to dedicate an hour a day to learning Spanish. Again, this seemed relatively easy because I have been learning on and off for the best part of two years now, but this was tougher than I thought. Again, my smartphone came in very useful, allowing me to learn new vocabulary with a suitable application, and to read a Spanish web site whilst on a bus, at home on the settee or even on the throne.

Now that I am used to it, I will try to read a little Spanish and learn some grammar and vocabulary on a more regular basis.

So now to the next challenge: I am going to start improving my photography. I have an assistant for this one because Mrs PM is a keen and able photographer, so I will spend the next 30 days either taking photos or reading some of her books on how to improve my techniques.

“What has all this malarkey got to do with the blog post title?” I hear you ask.

Allow me to elaborate. I’ve taken a few photos from around my house this weekend and I thought I would share them. They’re nothing special but I hope that may change with a little practice and insight from Mrs PM and her books over the coming month.

Here they are with suitable captions.

There's a meerkat in our mug cupboard

I don't even drink spirits!!!

An English Rose

The Warrior who guards the gasfire


Flower and lamp

A chequered bathroom

A glimpse of my CD collection and, yes, it is in alphabetical order!

Cheshire Cat seems happy.

Mantlepiece

Some books - they are not all mine!

A boring cloudy day through a pretty window
Straight from the 1970's to our bedroom

And, of course, I can't take photos of our house without my three bosses.

Jasper has had such a busy day - he's exhausted!

Poppy is terrified - what on earth is the oaf pointing at me now?


Liquorice plotting her next attack from the comfort of her furry tube.

If you fancy letting me know what you think, please feel free.


10 comments:

Grace said...

Love Poppy and love the windows!

River said...

Your home looks very comfotable.
I like your things very much. LOVE the meerkat mug. Nice to see the cats too.

Elephant's Child said...

Liquorice looks so innocent. As my Jazz does. Whoever says that animals don't lie has never shared their life with one.
I am looking forward to seeing how you progress with this challenge. And admire you for your perseverance on the last two.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Grace,

Mrs PM thinks Poppy is the "prettiest" cat and calls her "Princess".

I don't have a favourite - I believe in feline equality.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

It is very comfortable (that's why the cats stay!).

The meerkat mug is really weird to drink out of.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

Liquorice is a master as disguising her attacks. 80% of the time she is really friendly but then, when you least expect it, it's time to go the the plaster box again.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Pandora Behr said...

Your cats are wonderful - I love English houses - they look little from the inside but fit so much in. I like this post.

Jackie K said...

Your house looks lovely, and very cozy and inviting. (Are we invited? I just assumed!)

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Our house is like the TARDIS; it looks tiny from the outside but is long and deep.

It's also quite old.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Jackie,

Of course - if ever you're in Manchester, drop me a line.

:o)

Cheers

PM