Saturday 24 October 2009

Food Glorious Food


I was recently tagged by Kath, from Blurb From The Burbs to have a go at this food-based meme. I usually steal memes so this is almost a novel experience for me (I have been tagged legitimately once before). It does make me think about the morality of stealing memes. Actually that's a lie - I couldn't give two hooots! I will continue to steal them.


However, I will walk on the legal side of the meme line – just this once. Unless of course Kath stole it – in which case – oops I did it again!

Here goes:

1. Whats your #1 comfort food?

I’m sad to say that it’s cheese. I love the stuff, particularly mature cheddar. I’m not that fussy though; I will eat cheese from any country in the world – as long as it doesn’t taste like old socks (which some do). If there is cheese in the house and I am even slightly peckish, I will eat it. In fact, contrary to the urban myth, it actually DOES give you weird dreams. Mind you, I have weird dreams all the time – I won’t go into those here. The only cheese I don’t like is that blue veined rubbish, like Stilton. It tastes as foul as it looks.

2. If you were stranded on a desert island what 5 foods would you want to have with you to survive on?

If there was a sand-powered fridge, I would say:

Cheese, eggs, bacon, pork and beer.

If such a thing didn’t exist, I would have to be more sensible, so for the purpose of this question I am going to assume that a sand powered fridge does actually exist.

3. What are your signature dishes? (What dishes are you known for making?)

I can rustle up a decent pasta dish as long as I have pre-cooked sauce or pesto. It’s quick and easy to make, so over the years I’ve honed the technique, adding bits and pieces of food to it, including, of course, cheese.

4. It’s Friday night, you don't know what to cook. You opt for?

To be honest I’d rather eat out on a Friday night, but, if I had to cook, I would opt for a Chinese stir fry – not as easy as pasta but easy enough.

5. What's your ultimate food weakness?

Cheese – bad for me but delicious.

6. What food can you soooo not eat?

Rhubarb! One of my very first posts on this blog cursed this disgusting vegetation. Here’s an excerpt from my rant about it:

Rhubarb is the only food of any description that makes me throw up. The taste is revolting and activates a cataclysmic chain reaction deep within my abdomen. Not only does it taste revolting, it looks utterly repulsive. And it is poisonous (well the leaves are anyway). I would love to know which masochist spotted a rhubarb plant and thought “Now there’s a strange looking piece of vegetation; I think I’ll stew that”. That person is one of my least favourite people in history. Without that person, my sadistic infant and junior school teachers wouldn’t have rammed rhubarb down my throat and instilled in me a morbid fear of school puddings.

7. You need a drink, you grab a.....?

On Friday and Saturday evening - beer. Or on a school night or during the day at work - a cup of tea. I think I would be sacked if I drank beer at work.

8. What's the most decadent dish you've ever had?

Since I travel abroad on business a few times a year, I sometimes end up in oddly uncomfortable and extremely posh and pretentious restaurants ordering all sorts of decadent crap. I think I will plum for “thousand year old eggs”, which was a starter in a wonderful Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong. It looked repulsive – a dark green yolk in a clear brown goo. When I put it in my mouth, I said to a colleague: “Mmm this tastes just like egg!”. A second later the real taste hit me. It was like eating a solid fart. It was utterly revolting and tasted worse than it looked. I’ve never eaten one since. Here’s a picture.




9. What's your favourite type of food?

I don’t really have a favourite type of food. I do love Mexican food, Indian food and Chinese food so I will cheat and claim that I can’t distinguish between them.

10. Favourite Dish?

That’s a tough one – probably chicken cordon bleu – with tons of cheese!

11. If your partner could take you to any restaurant, where would you go?

I would go to CafĂ© Deco on Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. There is a wide range of food there and not a sinlge 1000 year old egg to be found. The view is spectacular. I get a fuzzy feeling inside when I’m there with Mrs PM – fabulous memories and fabulous food in my favourite city outside England. Here's the view from Cafe Deco:


Fab isn't it?

12. Soup or Salad?

Soup – every time. I’m a sucker for chicken and mushroom soup, although I’m usually tempted by any flavour to be honest.

13. Buffet, Take-Out or Sit-Down?

Sit down – unless I’m broke – in which case take away. You can’t beat a bag of fish and chips.

14. What's the most impressive meal you've ever made?

Mrs PM threw a dinner party and forced me to contribute. Worse than that, since she decided that starters and desserts were harder, she made me cook the main meal. Even worse than that, she didn’t even allow me to select the dish – she had chosen it for me. It was some kind of risotto and, as I was following the recipe to the letter, I began to have serious doubts about how good it would be. Thankfully, it went down very well. Nobody was sick and people claimed to have liked it. I’ve refused to make another one.

15. Do you consider yourself a good cook?

No – not at all. I can cook basic stuff but when it comes to anything more difficult than pasta or a quick stir fry I am seriously out of my depth. Mrs PM disagrees though; if she had her way, I would be attempting all sorts of culinary masterpieces. She is one of those irritating people who can throw together a gastronomic delight out of anything. So why she makes me cook is a huge mystery to me.

16. Do you know what vichyssoise is?

I think I dated a girl called Vicky Sauce once but I guess you don’t mean her. The answer is no.

17. Who's your favourite TV cook?

I despise them all. They have a one way ticket to Mars when I become World President. Actually, that’s not quite true. Gordon Ramsay is so rude that he makes me laugh and I quite enjoyed watching Keith Floyd becoming steadily more drunk as he cooked a meal. The two worst offenders and the only ones who make me rant mercilessly at my cowering TV are Jamie Oliver and Anthony Worrall Thompson. Every time Oliver opens his mouth, I scream “SHUT UP! Just shut up! Say PUKKA once more and I’ll be on the next train to London to throw you in the Thames.” Worrall Thompson has a similar effect. GET THEM OFF MY TELLY!!

18. Can you name at least three famous cooking personalities?

I think I named four in the last question, so yes.

19. Homemade or homemade from a box?

Home made (as long as I am not the one who made it)

20. Tag three more foodies...

You can steal the meme if you want. I don’t care. I like to live dangerously. That’s why I eat the food I cook.

If you do steal the meme, let me know and I'll comment on your answers.

14 comments:

River said...

I'm never ever going to try thousand year old eggs. Not even if someone offers me a million dollars.

Kath Lockett said...

Nice one - I, unlike you, LOVE blue-vein cheese, ESPECIALLY the pongy old stilton. Of course, Love Chunks makes me eat it outside and I have to wash my fingers in disinfectant and chug down mouthwash before I'm allowed back inside again...

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

I think I can still tatse them.

EEUURRGHHH!!!!

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

G'Day Kath,

Love Chunks is too soft. I would make you stay outside for at least six hours.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Buzzing J said...

Don't let them fool you, thousand years? It's more like six hundred seventy eight and a half year. :-)

I just had one of those for lunch the other day.

And to me, it tastes more like solid pee than solid fart. But I guess different tongue, different taste.

Oh, and you have to let it grow on you to like it. But I guess that won't happen to you, huh?

To the six-hundred-seventy-eight-and-a -half-years old egg.

:-)

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi BJ,

Yes - I know there are people who like it. One of my colleagues, ate mine, his own and his wife's. I couldn't believe it.

I know certain things are an acquired taste and require you to try them many times to appreciate them - but in the case of the 678.5 years egg - I think I'll leave that to other people.

:0)

Cheers

PM

River said...

Oh, the sand powered fridge? Take a solar powered fridge, practically guaranteed to work.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Absolutely correct, River.

I don't know what I was thinking - sand powered fridge indeed.

D'OH!

:0)

Cheers

PM

Robin Easton said...

Well, I can tell you right now, if we ever come to your house you can scratch the 1000 year old eggs, because what I would produce if forced to eat them, believe me, would be FAR worse than ANY 1000 year old egg!! Now I will leave you to ponder that while I move on to the rest of my comment.

Now good sharp cheddar cheese that's a whole other story! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! See if I did the food questionnaire it would be boring. It would read: cheese, cheese, cheese, after every question.

BUT that said, sadly :( I can't eat cheese. It's bit like eating a bag of cement. I'd be singing Beethoven's last movement.

Okay, that about wraps it up for me. LOLOLOL!!! This was hysterical and very YOU!! You've lived an interesting life with all that travel.

It is always a joy being here and...uh..."experiencing" you!! :) :) :) Thank you for making me laugh. It is sooooooooo good!!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Robin,

I know what you mean - cheese, cheese, cheese and more cheese (unless it is stilton!!!).

Don't worry - there are no 1000 year old eggs anywhere near to my house. I don't think the cats would forgive me if there were.

:0)

Cheers

PM

bingkee said...

Don't you eat fish or any seafood? The omega oils in seafood are good for you. If you have to eat with me all week, I 'd have to have fish at least 3x a week ....and of course, with a cup of steaming hot white rice.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Bingkee,

Yes, yes and thrice yes. We do have seafood/fish on a fairly regualr basis. As I said, I love fish and chips (though deep fried cod is not so good for you); but I love salmon and most other fish to be honest as well as shrimps and prawns.

Looking back at the post, I'm surprised I didn't mention it actually.

D'OH!

:0)

Cheers

PM

Elizabeth said...

Great Post. I hear you on those eggs. Just the sight of them is bad enough. Now as for the rhubarb, well I guess it can't be everyone's cup of tea.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Rhubarb shouldn't be anyone's cup of tea, but there are plenty of people who like it - including Mrs PM. I simply can't eat it without gagging.

:0)

Cheers

PM