Welcome to a sunny autumn day in South Manchester.
I’ve recently returned from my trip Austria, Hungary and Slovakia, where we tried to cruise along the Danube and see some lovely cities. It was great because I had never been to Austria and Slovakia. Sadly, the heatwave that occurred in Europe caused record low levels in the Danube and so the sailing was badly affected, meaning that we only sailed between Krems and Vienna. However, we were still able to visit Budapest, Bratislava, Melk and Linz via coach, as well as seeing both Vienna and Krems. I was slightly disappointed, but we made the most of it. You can’t really do too much about things that Mother Nature has planned for you.
Let’s dive into some silly questions from Sunday Stealing.
1. What are you currently excited about?
There are several things to look forward to. First, we are going to go away again for a cheeky holiday before the end of the year to Lanzarote.
I am also going to see Rush next year. I thought I would never see the band live again after the death of their drummer Neil Peart, but they are back with a new drummer called Anika Nilles from Germany.
It’s my birthday in a couple of days but I’m not excited about that at all as I will be 64.
Will you still need me? Will you still feed me?
2. What do you wish you had more time for?
Being retired, I have a lot of time for most of what I want to do. Sadly, Mrs PM isn’t retired yet and it would be nice to have more time to do things together as a retired couple. That will come I guess but I am still happy find time for most things I want to do.
3. What would like to do less?
I still procrastinate despite my efforts to the contrary. Nevertheless, I am getting better.
4. What do you spend too much money on?
I would say holidays, but this time something has happened at home. The day before we left for our holiday, our boiler decided to call it a day, which means that we are now without hot water until it gets replaced. And that is going to cost a little money.
5. What childhood wish never came true?
When I was a child, I pictured myself as a famous singer or instrumentalist in a band, performing in front of thousands of adoring fans. It was never going to happen because (a) I can’t sing (b) I can’t play a musical instrument well enough (c) I was (and still can be) a shy person.
That said, I have played a trombone in a brass band and an orchestra in front of a crowd of parents and teachers. Not exactly like the Beatles though, is it?
6. What did you do to celebrate your last birthday?
We have a very nice restaurant close to us that we tend to visit on special occasions. I did that last year and I will almost certainly do the same in five days’ time.
7. What drives you nuts?
Okay this is a recent thing.
On the river cruise there were a few people disappointed by the fact the levels of the Danube river limited the scope of the river cruise.
I can understand that.
However, one guy decided to interrupt the “welcome meeting” that was providing very important information and demanded to talk about “the elephant in the room” taking the microphone off the cruise director, ruining the meeting and making a scene. There was nobody there who could have done anything about things so he just decided to be an arse anyway. In the end, we had to find a representative later to tell us about the information we needed. This bloke spent the entire week complaining loudly to anybody who would listen to him. If he wanted to complain, he should have waited until he got home, like the rest of us.
People like this drive me nuts and this was compounded by his use of the phrase “elephant in the room”.
8. What keeps you sane?
It’s difficult in a world that is getting more insane each second. Mrs PM is pretty good at hauling me back from turning into a gibbering, rant-filled, grumpy old man.
9. What historic date is etched in your memory?
I would say recently March 2020 is etched in my mind because that was when we were all sent home from work because of the Covid pandemic and forced to stay there by the government as a lockdown was enforced. Don’t get me started on how Boris Johnson dealt with the pandemic in the UK because, as I said in the previous question, I don’t want to turn into a bitter, gibbering, rant-filled, grumpy old man.
10. What one thing would make your life immeasurably better?
A lottery win would help. I still have dreams of travelling around the world, via Europe, Asia, Australia, and North and South America. One day – maybe.

Happy birthday! You are absolutely right about the fools who commandeer the event that can't be fixed; I have experienced this more than once.
ReplyDeleteHi Roger,
DeleteI wasn't the only person who was annoyed by him. There were others who spent the entire holiday moaning too.
:o)
Cheers
PM
Wishing you a very happy birthday! I had heard about Danube cruise experiences similar to yours. What a nitwit to grab the microphone and blather on about it, though. People like that are so annoying!
ReplyDeleteHi Kwizgiver,
DeleteIt doesn't help matters at all. In fact it makes them worse.
:o)
Cheers
PM
At this time last year, we were cruising down (or up?) the Rhine River. I've been following along as people have tried to travel on that same river this year. It is always interesting to me that some people just make the best of it, while others write long posts bashing the cruise lines. We are booked on a two-week cruise in late spring...I hope the rains come before then.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your boiler. I hate when expensive things break!
I'm headed your way later this month. We land in Manchester and head straight to York. I'm bringing a raincoat and a puffy vest. Even looking at weather.com, I still can't tell exactly what to pack!!
Hi Lisa,
DeleteIt rains in Manchester quite a lot in October but now the weather is sunny and dry - so you never know. York is an amazing place and the weather should be better there as you have to go across the Pennines to get there. It will take you about an hour and a half I reckon, depending on traffic. Having said that there is a direct train I think from Manchester Airport to York, which may be easier. Bring a raincoat for sure. You will love York - its compact but lovely. Be sure to take lots of photos.
:o)
Cheers
PM
"They say it's your birthday. It's my birthday, too, yeah." OK, it's not my birthday. But I wanted to continue celebrating you with The Lads from Liverpool. Re: March 2020 – a friends teases me that I was insistent that Megxit would be the biggest news story of 2020. Think I was wrong on that one? :)
ReplyDeleteHi GH,
ReplyDeleteI'd not heard of the term Megxit until you mentioned it, but then I don't follow the royal family or all of the shenanigans they get up to (with the exception of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor that is). Who cares whether Harry and Meghan stepped back as senior royals? I don't.
:o)
Cheers
PM
Happy Birthday! I hope you have a super special day. I enjoyed your answers and I'm sorry your trip wasn't perfect (but most trips aren't) but also glad you made the best of it. We are in a drought, too. We used to have a pond but now it's a mudhole.
ReplyDeleteHi CD,
ReplyDeleteTalking of droughts, the UK is back to normal largely but we had droughts here too. Europe clearly hasn't recovered and it has made me think twice about going on a river cruise again - which is a shame.
:o)
Cheers
PM