Friday 16 December 2016

Thank God It's Christmas


Let’s go forward in time to a history lesson at school, say in the year 2066. The conversation will be:

Teacher: Johnny. Can you tell me when …

Johnny: 2016.

Teacher: But I hadn’t finished.

Johnny: I know. But it happened in 2016 – that was the year that everything happened.

Here’s something else I heard.

FACT: 2016 will be one second longer than 2015.

From Twitter: OH MY GOD! HAVEN’T WE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS BLOODY YEAR?

I will not look back on 2016 with fondness at all. There are many reasons for this most of which are political. We have all witnessed a new trend in political debate on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, where lies abound and post-truth politics is rampaging across the world like a mad beast.

And let’s not forget the legendary people who have died this year, people like David Bowie and Prince amongst others.

Also, I lost my uncle this year as well as my hellcat Liquorice who suddenly dropped dead in the summer. I miss them both.

However, as we approach the end of the year, and since its Christmas, I think it’s time to be more positive, generally. I have finished work for 2016 now and I want to enjoy the last couple of weeks with an optimistic outlook. Of course, I will be reviewing the year just after Christmas but I can let you into a secret – my resolution this year is to try to cut down on ranting and have a much more enjoyable year next year, whatever the hell Brexit throws at me or whatever trouble ensues when Donald Trump finally gets his hands on the Presidential seal.

The first thing I am going to do is consign the following people to Room 101, where everything hellish lives:

David Cameron, Michael Gove, Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson from the UK, all of whom have made me rant mercilessly this year and who I hold personally responsible for Brexit.

And from the other side of the Atlantic, I would like to also put the following people into Room 101 for equally pissing me off:

Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Ted Cruz and Kanye West.

I don’t know how the US will cope with their president elect suffering Piers Morgan in Room 101 but I am sure you will cope, my friends.

Anyway, no more negativity.

It’s Christmas and we should all rejoice in a time of good year to all men (apart from those I have just locked away forever).

In the past, I have written alternative lyrics for famous Christmas songs so this year I will do the same again. Here are my past efforts:

Jingle Bells

Twelve Days of Christmas

Merry Christmas Everybody 

This time my victim is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Dave, the Mancunian blogger, 
Had a giant monkey's nose
And if you ever saw him
You’d laugh at his choice of clothes

He had a Christmas jumper
And a very silly hat
And, thanks to all the turkey,
He was looking very fat

Then one rainy Christmas Eve,
Santa came to say:
“Dave your belly’s such a sight
Won’t you drive my sleigh tonight?”

Dave is now the new Santa
With a giant bushy beard
Delivering all your presents
Most of which are very weird

This may not be my last post before Christmas but I think now is a good time to wish you all:

Merry Christmas

May Father Christmas (Santa Claus if you are American) bring you all the gifts you want.

By the way, kids, the above lyrics are not true, just a figment of my warped imagination.

Imagine seeing a fat monkey with a beard in your house on Christmas Eve.

Stranger things gave happened.





10 comments:

Grace said...

So sad to hear about your cat, I don't remember your mentioning it, perhaps you didn't. With all the mishegoss of 2016 and all the mishegoss to come in 2017, I wish you and your family a heartfelt Happy Christmas and at least a tolerable New Year!

joeh said...

That room is big enough to hold a lot more.

Elephant's Child said...

Happy Christmas to you and yours. Please feel free to put some of our pollies in room 101. Including the ones who broke out the champagne when Trump's ascendency was announed.
Sorry to hear about hell cat. I am still missing our Jewel - and will miss her begging for turkey breast next week.

River said...

Love the Christmas Monkey!
Just how big is room 101 anyway? You must have hundreds of people stashed in there already.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Grace,

I didn't write a post about it - but I plan too. The remaining two are actually older and I thought Liquorice would outlive them both.

I'm sure 2017 will be better - it can't be any worse, can it?

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Josh,

Believe me, there are lots of other people I want to dump in Room 101. A future blog post perhaps.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

Yes - as a special Xmas gift to you, I shall dump Tony Abbot into Room 101. The more I read about him, the more I think he deserves it.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

The capacity of Room 101 is infinite! And there are lots of people who need to watch out.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Dale Brown said...

Merry Christmas to you also PM. Here's hoping 2017 is better and brighter.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Big D,

Let's hope so.

:o)

Cheers

PM