Saturday 27 March 2010

Introducing "The China Chronicles"



In 1999, Mrs PM and I embarked upon a two week trip to China, from our base in Hong Kong. At the time, the two of us were in the middle of a three month stint working there and we had two weeks off where we had the choice to either return to England or go on holiday.

We chose to tour China.

For me, it was a major adventure and I decided from the very beginning to document our experiences. Armed with a notebook and very little else, we set off on 5th June 1999.

The resulting travelogue became “The China Chronicles”, a diary of our trip where I bared my soul, exposed my innermost fears and, of course, documented our trip as well as I could with my limited writing skills.

I have now decided to share it with the world, via the wonders of the blogosphere.

If you decide to have a look at our exploits, be warned; first, it is a “warts and all” account of the trip and, as such, includes a little fruity language that may offend some readers; second, there are one or two photos of me so make sure you are sitting down and have some oxygen and water ready in case you accidentally stumble on one.

It was a fabulous and rewarding adventure at a time when China was not as accessible as perhaps it is now. We had a lot of fun and there were some hairy moments when we wondered what we had done.

However, there were also many fantastic moments that I will cherish.

If you have nothing better to do and want to read about the adventure of two hapless travellers in a totally foreign land then you can find it by clicking on the image below (which is my name in Chinese if you were wondering).

Please feel free to leave comments on the site.

On the subject of travelogues, I have also written another one for a 2005 trip to Australia. That too, may make it onto the internet in due course.

If you choose to read “The China Chronicles”, I just want to let you know that Mrs PM’s real name is Lisa and, as you may know, I am the cowardly bumpkin called Dave – just so that you don’t get mixed up.

4 comments:

bingkee said...

That would be very nice since you are a well-travelled man. You can share the great photos and tales of your travel encounters.
Try to include the Philippines next time in your itinerary.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Bingkee,

Well we almost went to the Philippines on that trip actually, but since our original plan had been China and circumstances changed (and Mrs PM prefers more challenging places).

The Philippines is definitely on the list of places to go.

:0)

Cheers

PM

River said...

Something to add to my Easter holiday reading marathon.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

It shouldn't take too long

;-)

Cheers

PM