Saturday, 14 February 2009
This post is a milestone – I have made it to 100 posts and (I think) I am still going strong.
I’ve had a quick browse of all of my posts so far and it’s plain to see that I am a real weirdo.
When I first started this blog I didn’t actually know what I wanted to write but as the months have drifted by I have found myself posting about all sorts of nonsense, usually because something has popped into my head.
So what have you all learned about me from my blog, apart from the fact that I am strange?
You know about my lack of understanding of the female sex, my bad hair, my inability to sleep, my futile efforts to wrest control of my house from three cats, my views on Britishness, my views on Sarah Palin, 200 of my favourite songs and some of my fears as well as many other bits and pieces of odd trivia.
So what am I going to post about now? Well, I’ve decided to reveal a little more of myself. Don’t worry – I’m not going to post any photos of my ugly mug! Listed below are 100 facts about the idiot who calls himself “The Plastic Mancunian”.
For those of you who actually know me, please don’t laugh!
For those of you who read my posts regularly but don’t know me, hopefully it will go some way to explain why my mind works the way it does. If not, then maybe the next 100 posts will help – or confuse you further.
1. I have visited 23 countries including USA, China, Russia, Australia, South Africa, Canada, Thailand, Barbados, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago and most of Europe.
2. I have written two personal travelogues; one for a trip to China in 1999 and one for a trip to Australia in 2005.
3. The most impressive natural phenomenons I have seen are Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon.
4. One of the most scenic places I have been to is Yangshuo in China.
5. My favourite city in the world is Hong Kong.
6. My second favourite city outside the United Kingdom is New York.
7. I hate Thai food.
8. My favourite band is Rush. I have seen them four times (and it is still not enough).
9. I have seen many rock bands live including Rush, Nine Inch Nails, Def Leppard, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden, Queen, Guns n’ Roses, Marilyn Manson, Black Sabbath, Meat Loaf, Whitesnake, Rammstein, Bruce Springsteen, Queens Of The Stone Age, Motorhead, Deep Purple, The Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, Ozzy Osbourne, Tenacious D, Aerosmith and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers ... oh and Alice Cooper.
10. By the end of April I will have added AC/DC, Metallica, Judas Priest and Megadeth to that list.
11. I used to play the trombone.
12. I suffer from hay fever
13. I have been inside the Kremlin but got into an argument with a Kremlin guard on the way in (so almost failed miserably).
14. I have climbed the Great Wall of China
15. I was very impressed by Pompeii but disturbed by Mount Vesuvius.
16. I am scared of heights but have climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge and been to the top of the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the CN Tower and the Oriental Pearl Tower.
17. My star sign is Libra so I’m an indecisive, gullible, flirtatious, self-indulgent romantic.
18. I am short sighted and becoming more long sighted as the years pass by. My optician lied to me aged eight: “You’re sight will improve!” the liar said. I’m still waiting …
19. I am divorced and have two boys aged 16 (in June) and 13 (next week).
20. My sons regard me as “Embarrassing Dad” but think that I am funny.
21. I have lived with Mrs PM for almost 11 years. She is the one.
22. I am right handed.
23. I play computer games occasionally (yes even at my age!). My sons constantly kick my arse, particularly at Super Mario Kart.
24. I hate being late.
25. I swear a little bit too much.
26. I speak a little German and a little more French. I plan to learn French to fluency when I can find the time. Mrs PM can speak French. I would be able to speak a little Latin, if it hadn’t died with the Romans.
27. I am a Roman Catholic but haven’t been to church since the age of 16. My mum and I almost fell out over it.
28. I am a huge fan of space operas and horror novels. I also like spy thrillers, gritty crime thrillers and huge adventures.
29. I have blue eyes.
30. I hate gardening. Hay fever doesn't help.
31. I would own a dog if I didn’t have cats. I will own both when I retire. I like to think of myself as both a cat person and a dog person.
32. Rhubarb makes me feel physically ill.
33. I own several hundred music CDs.
34. I have held a koala.
35. I am trying to be an amateur photographer.
36. Beer is my favourite tipple but I also like wine. I don’t drink spirits.
37. Salmon in my favourite fish.
38. I hate modern art though I do appreciate classical paintings and sculptures.
39. I am a huge fan of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy and own a box set of their DVDs. If I could travel back in time these two guys would be the first I would visit.
40. The funniest man I have seen live is Billy Connolly.
41. I am a huge fan of comedy; my favourite shows include Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Monty Python, Black Books, Father Ted, Peep Show and the Office. From across the pond, I like the Simpsons and Frasier.
42. I would love to retire to the South of France.
43. I love cheese – a little too much.
44. I love Mexican, Italian and Indian cuisine but am happy with most other dishes.
45. I avoid the sun because I turn into a lobster when exposed to it.
46. I do not understand the fascination with reality TV; I would ban it if I had the power. The one exception is the Apprentice (UK and US versions). I love to see pompous pseudo-entrepreneurs shot down in flames.
47. I am the world’s biggest procrastinator.
48. My favourite colour is blue.
49. I have never broken a bone. Watch me break something next week now!!
50. I almost lost one of my front teeth when I was 15. I now have a crown. I went over the handlebars of a bike and cracked it on the tarmac.
51. I play Guitar Hero on the Wii and jump around the room like a man possessed, particularly to "Knights Of Cydonia" by Muse.
52. “Aliens” is possibly my favourite science fiction film.
53. I am a huge fan of "Star Trek" but am definitely not a “Trekkie”.
54. I think that “Babylon 5” was better than “Star Trek”.
55. My football team is Walsall but I have a grudging respect for Liverpool. I don’t get to see Walsall much these days (sadly).
56. I hate winter but survive by cuddling up with Mrs PM on the sofa.
57. I can’t sing but do so frequently in private (and accidentally in public).
58. I have two younger sisters.
59. I hate politics and almost all politicians. I consider them all to be liars.
60. I want to visit Japan, Brazil, New Zealand, Mexico and Scandanavia.
61. I used to have a major crush on Madonna. I don’t now.
62. I cry at films (e.g. “Ghost”, “It’s A Wonderful Life”, “Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Kahn”) but don’t like to admit it (D'OH!!!).
63. I’m actually quite shy; people don’t believe me.
64. I love going to the pub.
65. I hate hip/hop, rap, dance music, R’n’B and anything that involves boy bands and girl bands.
66. I would love to be able to play a guitar.
67. I am my own worst enemy and my own biggest critic.
68. I am extremely intolerant of people who try to take advantage of others.
69. I am a huge fan of early eighties pop bands like A-ha, Tears For Fears and Depeche Mode.
70. I have a friend who is about to have his first novel published. I am insanely jealous of his achievement and will be promoting his book on my blog very soon.
71. The house I live in is over a hundred years old.
72. If I were to win the lottery I would travel the world first class and write a book about my experiences.
73. I read whenever I can.
74. I have met three of the members of one of my favourite rock bands: Thunder.
75. I hated history at school but am suddenly developing a deep interest in medieval English history. I am particularly fascinated by Henry VIII.
76. I work in IT.
77. I have a science degree.
78. I would have loved to have been an actor.
79. I hate shopping.
80. I am quite a good cook but I hate doing it. I avoid it whenever I can.
81. I love sitting down and watching people.
82. I have been told that I am a flirt. I don't think I am.
83. I am outspoken and opinionated, something friends find amusing (causing them to provoke me whenever they can).
84. I have had numerous nicknames including “Snowy”, “Bagpuss”, “Flossy” and “Hair Bear”. Possibly the most bizarre is "The White Shaft".
85. My hair is a source of constant annoyance to me but men my age are jealous of it. Strangley, women like it.
86. My favourite fruit is grapefruit.
87. Favourite non-comedy TV shows at this precise moment are “Heroes”, “Lost”, “Dr Who”, “Battlestar Galactica”, Dexter” and “Torchwood”
88. I’ve been told that I have a wicked sense of humour.
89. I snore (apparently).
90. I have never smoked.
91. I have a problem with authority. People need to earn my respect not demand it.
92. I love Tom and Jerry cartoons from the 40’s and 50’s and the Pink Panther cartoons from the 70’s.
93. I have held a snake but won’t go near spiders.
94. I actually like to chat to Jehovah’s Witnesses on my doorstep and have challenged a couple of them them to convert me. Not one of them has or will ever succeed.
95. I am a hoarder and Mrs PM dare not throw anything out without checking with me first.
96. Coffee makes me hyperactive and I avoid it whenever I can.
97. I am fascinated by Derren Brown and would love to meet him so that he could teach me how to do the things he does.
98. I look like a goon when I grow a beard. I’ve done so three times in my life and been ridiculed mercilessly. I will never grow a beard (intentionally) again. I may even post about my exploits with facial hair soon.
99. I want to write a novel and will do very soon.
100. My real name is Dave.
I will reveal more about myself in my next post in a response to a tag from a fellow blogger.
Here’s to the next 100 posts.
Thanks for reading the drivel that has dripped out of my brain and onto the internet so far and a huge thanks to those who have taken the time to comment. I really appreciate it.