Saturday 1 November 2008

A Trip To Hong Kong


Tomorrow, I am returning to one of my favourite places on the planet; the wonderful city of Hong Kong.

I first visited the place on business around thirteen years ago and returned many times in the next six years, culminating in a three month stint there. Apart from being a wonderful place, Hong Kong has a special place in my heart, because it is where Mrs PM and myself got together ten years ago. We are returning for our anniversary before heading off to Thailand for some relaxation.

I can’t wait. I have such vivid and fabulous memories of the city. Whether it’s enjoying the breathtaking views from Victoria Peak, riding the Star Ferry to Kowloon to marvel at the unbelievable skyline, venturing into an authentic Chinese restaurant, partying in Wan Chai or Lan Kwai Fong, walking around Aberdeen, bartering at Stanley Market, shopping in Causeway Bay or simply wandering around the metropolis breathing in the atmosphere, I simply cannot fault it. We last visited in 2005 on the way to Australia but our time there was short. This time we are there for longer and can savour our time there.

We have a plan of sorts. The problem is that there is so much we want to do, we are going to struggle to fit it in the three or four days we are there and will not have time to relax. To be honest I don’t want to relax too much; I want to embrace the whole place like a long lost friend; I want to take it for a meal and chat about old times.

Suffice it to say, I will be armed with a camera and will almost certainly bore the arse of any readers of this blog with our exploits upon our return. I don’t care, really. Those of you who have been there will know what I mean when I describe the place as brilliant; those who haven’t will hopefully be intrigued enough to pay the city a visit yourself.

You won’t regret it.

To finish off, I have some interesting fact about the city:

( 1) Hong Kong is the city with the most Rolls Royce cars per capita in the world.
( 2) Human sewage is one of Hong Kong’s major exports. This “natural” product is sold to China to fertilize farmlands.
( 3) Hong Kong is made up of more than 200 islands.
( 4) Hong Kong has 25 of the 50 busiest McDonald’s restaurants in the world.
( 5) Hong Kong is home to the world’s longest escalator.
( 6) Gambling is illegal in Hong Kong, except for horse racing.
( 7) The bronze Buddha at Po Lin Monastery on Lantau island is the largest sitting Buddha in the world, standing 24 metres high and weighing 250 tons.
( 8) Hong Kong means “fragrant harbour” (not so fragrant now).
( 9) Kowloon means “Nine Dragons”.
(10) Lifts in Hong Kong generally do not have a floor 4, 14, 24 etc. because 4 sounds like the Chinese word for “death”.

See you in two weeks or so.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love photos...you can bore my arse to death! Those are interesting facts---happens that W. was born in Kowloon and I believe our last name translated is "5". Will miss your posts but have a wonderful time---bon voyage Mr. & Mrs. PM!

Plastic Mancunian said...

You really should try to get there - I can guarantee you will love the place.

I shall try to give you a little feel for it when I get back.

Cheers

PM

Unknown said...

been to hong kong once. only for the sake of flight transit. but interested to go there one day.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Well worth the trip if you get a chance.

Cheers

PM

Anonymous said...

Happy trip! And thanks for the trivia.

Anonymous said...

This probably sounds weird, but I think escalators are fun. We don't have any places around here with them though. So the world's longest escalator sounds fun! Odd to hear that elevators don't have floors with 4s in them in Hong Kong, although it's kind of similar to most buildings here not having a 13th floor since 13 is considered unlucky.