Thursday 21 August 2008

The Flying Spaghetti Monster Is Real

Today I discovered evidence that the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the supposed creator of our universe, is in fact real.

I know – difficult to believe isn’t it?

I first became aware of the Flying Spaghetti Monster when a rather eccentric Austrian database trainer pointed it out to me during a course on performance tuning. I laughed, of course, and after a quick investigation with the help of my good friend Mr Google, enjoyed the supposed parody religion that has now become the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster. And it is truly hilarious.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster has the appearance of two enormous meatballs literally implanted in a huge mass of sentient spaghetti known as “noodly appendages”. The creature supposedly created the entire universe after a particularly heavy drinking session thus explaining the imperfect nature of our beloved world. There is even a “Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” complete with eight commandments (or “I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts”).

Followers are called “pastafarians” and non-believers are “spagnostics”.

You can read all about it here.

Until now I treated with sheer amusement, particularly the seriousness with which some people take it. It is a joke after all.

Or is it?

A colleague of mine at work sent me an article today with a rather startling picture of the Flying Spaghetti Monster in all his glory. Here it is.

I’m afraid that I might have to reassess my thinking in this area. Perhaps I should start by confessing that I have just devoured a huge plate of Spaghetti Bolognese.

No comments: